Adventure in Carter County Kentucky? You bet! Let us start with an introduction: We are Grigsby Outdoor Adventures, and though some of our trips take place in different locations, and even out of state, much of what we do and enjoy can be found right here in Carter!
We are a husband and wife team (Tim and Amanda) who engage and guide a variety of Outdoor custom Adventures in our area on a part-time basis. When invited to offer a regular column here through the Carter County Post-we said Yes! We love to share adventure ideas with others, and appreciate the invitation to be included!Tim and I were born and raised in neighboring counties, however we both love Carter County SO MUCH that we moved here, and have lived here for over 25 years! Please LIKE us on Facebook to stay up to date with our trips and events.
To kick our featured articles off we thought we’d offer a
“TOP 15 Carter County Outdoor Experiences “ based on our personal preferences. Check back later for highlights of trips we take …whether local or in neighboring states.
If you haven’t already … you gotta do the following!!
1. A paddle trip to Hidden Cove on Grayson Lake and see the Hidden waterfall as well as a couple others along the way.
2. Take the 3 Bridges Trail (Carter Caves) OR the Box Canyon Trail (Or Both).
3. Take the challenging but amazing and beautiful 4 Cs trail (Carter Caves) check out the swinging bridge!
4. Take the nature trail at Grayson Lake spillway and fish in scenic Little Sandy River.
5. Tackle a Little Sandy River Paddle from spillway to take outs on -Rt 7 or Grayson Walk Park
6. Explore our Olive Hill Trail Town and the trails they offer there, including horseback riding trails and a trail around Olive Hill Lake
7. Attempt the absolutely breathtaking Tygart Creek Paddle from the put ins in Olive Hill or through Carter Caves scheduled trips.
8. Experience camping at either Grayson Lake, Carter Caves, Cabin Creek, or Shady Valley campgrounds!
9. Reserve a Vacation home at Opossum Hollow, A Bit o Tyme Vintage Lake Retreat , or Top of The Ridge Tree Farm.
10. Learn how to Geocache and check out the lake caches and Olive Hill series!
11. Rent a pontoon from Grayson Lake marina and spend day swimming, fishing, and waterfall hunting.
12. Reserve a moonlight paddle from us at the Bruin ramp!
13. Take a paddle from the Caney ramp on Grayson lake to visit the lesser known Grayson Lake waterfalls.
14. Purchase a “Roadtrips in a Box” from us to venture out on the gorgeous country back roads of Carter County .. see natural beauty and learn some history while at it!
15. Take ANY and as many cave tours as you can from Carter Caves! Our caves are amazing here and Carter Caves is (in our opinion) THE best Ky State Park we have (we’ve been to them all)!
Thanks to Amanda & Tim Grigsby for the article, and be sure to like their Facebook page!